Artificial nails have been a popular fashion accessory since ancient times. Back as ancient Egypt, nail accessories were created from exotic materials ranging from ivory to gold – and designed to represent the wearer’s wealth. In the middle of the last century, dentist Fred Slack actually invented the first acrylic nail extension as he and his brother were attempting to repair his own cut thumb nail using dental acrylic and aluminum foil. In recent years, another type of artificial nail known as UV cured gel nails have been gaining in popularity as millions of women have flocked to take advantage of this new technology’s many benefits.
Here are just a few of the many reasons why gel nails are becoming more popular with each passing year:
- Acrylic nails can contain dangerous chemicals that often enter the bloodstream when applied to the human hand. In addition, these chemicals and the applicator resin have even been linked to certain health complications such as cancer. While there is no conclusive correlation between acrylic nail use and any specific diseases, many women have simply decided that the risks are not worth taking when there are alternatives that are clearly safer for their health.
- Since artificial nails are not permanent, they have to be removed at some point. When acrylic nails are removed, they tend to damage the underlying natural nail, removing at least the top layer. This leaves the natural nails in a weaker state.
- Light cured gel nails (LCN) are free from the formaldehyde and other dangerous chemicals that make acrylic nails a riskier choice. As a result, LCN fills are less damaging to your natural nails, and pose none of the health risks that accompany their acrylic counterparts.
- The LCN option provides a nail finish that is as strong and beautiful as acrylics, while also being longer-lasting. They are generally considered to be more natural-looking as well, more closely resembling your natural nails.
- Gel nails also tend to avoid the yellowing, cracking, and loss of shine that often occurs with acrylic options.
- Unlike acrylic nails – which look their best only when polish is applied, gel nails are attractive even without nail polish.
- LCN nails have greater flexibility than most acrylic options, which helps them to avoid most cracks and splits. That can be especially important for women who have jobs or other activities that require frequent use of the hands throughout the day.
- There are even gel nail options that allow you to simply extend the length of your nails, while allowing your natural fingernails to grow.
At Tiffany Beauty Spa, our Gel Nail services can provide you with all of these benefits and more. Because we use only the safest, non-acrylic products, you can rest assured that your nails will receive the outstanding care they need, even as you avoid the potential risks that can accompany many of the harsh chemicals used at some other salons. To find out more about the best manicure services in Fort Lauderdale, give us a call today!