Nails are one of the most noticeable parts of your body, and a feature that you always want to look their best. That’s often easier said than done, however, as the rigors of daily life present a multitude of hazards that can damage and mar even the most beautiful manicure. Unless you’re one of those people who doesn’t mind making multiple trips to the salon each week, odds are that you’re in the market for any suggestions that can help to protect your manicured nails. Here are seven hacks that can help you secure the protection your nails need.
- Be careful with water. When you’re washing dishes, cleaning the kitchen, or otherwise in or near water, wear gloves. That can protect your manicure by preventing the peeling that can occur when water causes your nail bed to expand.
- Watch out for sunscreen and other chemicals that can discolor your nail polish or cause the entire manicure to break down. Have someone else apply the cream, or wear gloves.
- You can apply topcoat on your polish every couple of days to maintain the gloss and provide that extra later of chip protection that you need to keep your manicure in top form.
- Moisturize your nails each night to keep them from being dehydrated. While too much water can damage the manicure, too little moisture can cause nails to split or even break. By moisturizing, you can find that happy medium that preserves both the nail and the manicure.
- Mind your cuticles. One of the first things many people notice when their manicures go awry is that the cuticles begin to look parched and brittle. Use cuticle oil daily to keep that critical part of each nail as healthy as can be.
- Don’t bite them or pick at the polish. Many women regularly nibble at their nails or chip the polish with their fingernails. If you want your manicure to look its best and last as long as possible, avoid those poor habits.
- Find the right tool – and make no mistake: your fingernails are never the right tool. If you insist on using your manicured nails to open every soda can, peel away every sticker or piece of tape, or complete any number of other assorted tasks, then don’t be surprised when they chip, split, or break. They’re not tools; they’re nails!
At Tiffany Beauty Spa, we want our clients to be able to get maximum enjoyment from their new manicures, and that means knowing how to care for them properly. The good news is that the steps you need to take to protect your manicured nails are not all that difficult to get used to once you start to enjoy the benefits they can provide. More importantly, our technicians will work with you to ensure that you know everything you need to know to maintain your lovely nails after you leave our spa. To find out more about your manicure’s care needs, contact us today and schedule your next nail appointment.